Thursday, August 6, 2009

10 Reasons I'll Unfollow You on Twitter

Since I started using Twitter many months ago, I've always endeavored to follow anyone who followed me. This seems polite, is a great way to meet interesting "Tweeps," and broadens my horizons to take in different perspectives. I used to follow my followers automatically, but then, as the number of followers grew and the number of twitter spam, scam, and get-rich-quick schemes exploded, I was unable to do that. So now I vet all of my new followers (using TweetLater). This would seem time consuming, and it is, except that Twitters who I'll not follow, or who I'll unfollow if they somehow fell through the cracks, tend to fall into certain categories. Here then, is my list of 10 reasons (in no particular order) that I'll unfollow you on twitter.

  1. If you are naked in your profile picture, I will unfollow you.
  2. If you tweet a link to where I can find naked pics of you, or to your webcam, bye-bye.
  3. If you tweet about how I can make my teeth whiter. See ya.
  4. If you tweet about how I can gain millions, billions, gazillions of followers, you just lost one.
  5. If your tweet contains any form of the phrase "multi level marketing," you're outta here.
  6. If you only tweet retweets, unless they're really good, you're gone. I suspect you're a bot.
  7. If you only tweet quotations, and I LOVE quotations, you're most likely a bot and you're gone.
  8. If you never tweet anything more interesting than "had grilled cheese for lunch," I'm sorry, but eBay has a 10% rule about the proportion of following to followers and your slot could be taken up with somebody more interesting.
  9. If your tweets are all about finding dates for yourself or others, sorry. I have my date for life and I'm happy. B-bye.
  10. If all of your tweets try to sell something, you're boring. It's OK with me if an occasional tweet is a sales pitch. Hell, I do that myself, but if that's the only thing you have to offer, no sale.
Wow. That was quick. I'm sure there are others I could think of that I use, and I'm sure everyone else's experience is at least a little different, so, add to my list. What rates an "unfollow" in your book?

2 comments:

  1. replace "unfollow" with "block" and that's pretty close to my policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Everybody's system and tolerances will vary somewhat. For the most part I don't have a problem with people I don't follow following me. Just because I don't find someone's tweets interesting doesn't mean they might not find mine that way.

    I think I've only ever blocked maybe 1 or 2 people. I reserve it for annoying tweeple. Thanks for visiting Kestrel's Keep!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis